Saturday, December 18, 2010

Transfer Day & Goodbye from me

I had such an amazing morning!

I drove to the clinic to meet my recipients so that I could go in with them to watch the transfer take place. It was so generous of them to invite me in and I was so happy to see a bit of the scientific side of it.

They started by telling us that the embryo they have chosen is a hatching blastocyst, and apparently that is very good. There were another 2 that were also ready to go so they were going to be frozen today. Three others were just about ready but needed to develop a touch more, so they will be frozen tomorrow, and it seemed like the remaining three were maybe not going to make it to the freezing stage. So to only lose 3 along the way is really good because I read this morning that it is usual to lose around half the embryos, so 3 out of 9 aint bad!

The doctor then came in and got my recipient ready, telling her that he was very happy with the quality of the embryo being transferred and then we got to see it on the screen! It was amazing to look at, such a teeny tiny thing, full of circles and squiggles which will hopefully one day be the placenta, the sac and a foetus, and all that good stuff. They then drew it up into a syringe looking thing with a long tube on the end and inserted it into my recipient. Just as the doctor began to push the syringe to release the embryo I reached down for her hand and held on tight. It was such a union of the two of us, and it was a really lovely moment. Her hubby stood right beside us and we all waited to hear that it had gone well.

The doctor looked up at us and explained that it was complete, and now she is to rest up and relax as much as she can. He wouldn't give us a percentage on what her chances are of falling pregnant from this, but before we went into it (several months ago) he told her that she would have around 40% chance of this being successful. But for the time being she is pregnant until proven otherwise :)

So there won't be much from me on here anymore, that is the end of my journey. I will however stay in close contact with the couple, and hopefully things go well for them. Most of the people reading this blog know me so I will be sure to keep you all updated with any progress.

Thanks for reading and asking questions, it has been a wonderful time of my life and I have been so lucky to have been able to do this and it only makes me appreciate motherhood even more, which I never even thought was possible. I feel like the luckiest woman alive!

Thanks, and bye for now........

Lisa xxx

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing it all Lisa!! You are such a beautiful and generous woman. I hope that what you have done will result in a precious gift for the couple. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for starting the blog. It all seemed to go smoothly and it will make the process a lot clearer for other women who may be interested in being a donor as well. I am wishing them all the best

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing Lisa. I wish your recipient couple all the very best. You are one amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting us share this with you Lisa. I am so hopeful for your recipient couple and so inspired by your generosity of spirit.
    xoox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic outcome Lisa...I have goosebumps reading, brings back positive memories of our ivf journey.
    You are an amazing woman...wishing you and the recipient couple success and happiness xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, what amazing thing to do for someone. I hope with all my heart for that couple!!

    ReplyDelete