Monday, December 13, 2010

Egg pick up day!!

Today is my little boy's 3rd birthday! Happy birthday my sweetheart, I love you.

This morning I went into Maroubra Day Surgery for my quick 15 min procedure of egg retrieval. I went in, spoke to a nurse, then the anethetist, and then it was off to theatre. Just before I was put under they put a piece of tape on my hand and told me that they would write the number of eggs collected on it so that as oon as I woke up I could see it. Before I knew it the room was spinning and I was out.

I woke up and immediately looked at my hand......... 15. I couldn't believe it! I figured it would be 10 at the most because that is all they ever saw in my ultrasounds, so I was in a happy sense of shock. I started crying and the nurses thought I must be in pain (how embarrassing!) but it was just me being emotional and a little proud of myself.

I discovered I had a tiny little bit of pain, I would say it's a cramp that feels like mild period pain. I already had a warm heat pack on, and the nurse came over with some Panadol and asked me if I needed anything stronger, but I didn't.

I was able to get up and get dressed right away while the nurse called my recipient who was coming in to drive me home. While I waited for her I had a well deserved cup of tea and some bikkies. When she arrived she brought in the most beautiful bunch of flowers I have ever seen and a whole bag jam-packed full of handmade chocolates. Talk about spoilt rotten!!

So I came home and watched a movie with my hubby while I put my feet up and started drinking water. I need to drink lots over the next few days to keep my system functioning well. I feel really good other than being a bit light headed from the drugs, but I have absolutely zero pain and I didn't get any bleeding whatsoever. I feel like they looked after me very well.

Just a few minutes ago I got a call from the scientist to say that of the 15 eggs collected they are able to use 13, as only 2 of the eggs were a bit immature, so that means they will try to fertilise 13 and then they will call me to let me know how many actually take, so I am feeling really good about this. I never expected to be able to give the couple 13 chances of pregnancy so I am feeling wonderful and am so, so happy for them.

Now I am about to get ready to go to the U2 concert. What a day huh?! Good news all 'round :)

4 comments:

  1. And so you should be proud :)

    What wonderful news. Enjoy U2!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic effort Lisa, just awesome! I hope you enjoy the concert tonight. I'm keeping my everything crossed for your couple, I hope they are blessed with a little miracle very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is brilliant news. I bet your recipient couple are just thrilled beyond belief. Let's hope the eggs take and there is a miracle Christmas baby.

    Enjoy U2 and happy birthday to your now big boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh, you have brought tears to my eyes! you have given them the most amazing gift anyone could ever get! Wow, I am so proud to call you my friend and will be praying for success for your couple! love you honey!! hope you're enjoying U2!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete