Friday, December 3, 2010

Day 8 - blood test and ultrasound

I wake up this morning and instantly feel my belly - it is still a touch swollen but I take a look and the redness has gone completely. It is no longer itchy or painful either. Phew! I have an ultrasound this morning anyway so I will make mention of it and see what the nurse says.

I go to my appointment, which is for an ultrasound and blood test. The reason they want to do the ultrasound is to take an early look at my eggs to see how many there are and what measurements they are. Before she starts the scan she tells me that because my Oestrogen levels were low that my egg count won't be great, but it's nothing to worry about. Now that they have upped my dose it will improve and we should see the improvement by my next appointment on Monday.

She inserted the camera up my hoo-haa (it is affectionately known as dildo cam for obvious reasons) and took a look at what was going on with my ovaries. I had 5 eggs from my left ovary and 4 eggs from my right. Those numbers didn't seem very good to me at all and I felt immediate disappointment. I had one of these scans a few months ago just after I had agreed to become an egg donor and I had 8 eggs on one side and 11 on the other - and that was with no drugs at all, so I hope that I can pull those sorts of numbers this cycle, or better.

Then she gave me another blood test to see how my levels of Oestrogen are going now after having the higher dose of Puregon for a few days, and my nurse will call me later today to tell me the results and if there is anything that needs changing.

I tell her now about my adverse reaction to the Orgalutran last night and she says that it is a very normal reaction. A lot of patients get a red mark that is about the size of a 20c piece. Mine was long and oval, more like the size of an Arrowroot biscuit, but she didn't seem concerned. She told me to ice it if I have any dramas as that will help reduce the swelling and the pain. Also, she said she will make mention of it to my nurse today who will then call me with the blood test results and speak to me about my reaction and if there is anything else I can do.

It seems like the egg pick-up is going to be on Wednesday or Friday of next week, only 5-7 days away, but I truly am hoping it can be the Wednesday, as my son's 3rd birthday party is happening on the Sunday and I want to be up and about and be able to enjoy the day. If the egg pick-up happens Friday there is every chance I will still be in a bit of pain from the procedure, so here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment