Friday, December 17, 2010

1 day to go until transfer

Tomorrow they are going to transfer one embryo into my recipient and I have been invited to go along and witness it! I'm really excited about it and can't imagine what a 5 day old embryo even looks like. The earliest I ever got to see my kids was at about 8 weeks, so I am intrigued and excited and feeling full of hope and love. I soooo hope this first transfer does the trick.

So let me update you on how the embies are doing today -

3 are early blastocysts
3 are morulas
2 are early morulas
1 has 10 cells

A morula is the second stage. Once they are fertilised they count the cells until they all start to blend in and melt together. That is usually 10-30 cells and they call them morulas.

A blastocyst (known as a blastie) is a morula that then forms a fluid filled cavity, where they can see fluid forming between the cells. That is what they want the embryo to be to be able to transfer it.

Day 4 is usually when they become a morula and day 5 they progress to a blastie. We are only on day 4 and already have 3 exceeding expectations, 3 that are right on track (all 6 have been classed as "A grade") and the other 3 are just a touch behind but not out of the race just yet. So it seems to me that at worst case scenario we have 6 great embryos to work with.

We are so close now, so please send your positive energy to my recipients tomorrow morning, we need all the luck we can get!

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, those little embies are doing so well! Keeping everything crossed for a christmas miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Christmas miracle indeed. You are awesome Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done amazingly well! I'll be thinking of you all tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome Christmas present - all the luck in the world for your recipient tomorrow and how lovely to be invited to be there

    ReplyDelete